I am grateful to Northumbria University, Property Care Services PCS and DLA Piper for supporting this English Teaching Assistants programme.

Thursday 29 August 2013

SCHOOL WORK

I usually get given activities covering a subject of the teachers choice, so far I have done a lotttt of quizes, games, introductions etc thus allowing the students to get confident around me- not to much pressure and a relaxed classroom environment!

Good subjects that work well within the classroom are:
-Directions- forwards, backwards, left, right, straight on, 5 minutes, half an hour, walk, take a taxi etc. Then asking the students, how do I get to the Maths classroom? How do I get to the supermarket?

-The body- feet, legs, head, arms etc. Then the song head, shoulders knees and toes. Labelling the body etc.

-My favourite- My favourite toy/colour/tv show/ music etc.

-Tenses (older students) Drink, Drank, Drunk. How and when to use the different words.

Test all of this knowledge with wordsearches, matching the sentences, question and answers, quizes etc.

A good way to test the students knowledge is to play 'guess the words'- read out 5 clues and the first team to guess the correct word gets the point. For example-
1. It is a fruit
2. It is big
3. It has green or yellow skin
4. It has black seeds
5. It is sweet and juicy
WATERMELON!

For some of my younger students (12) I strangely decided to make 100 envelopes by hand, with 12 handmade stickers inside of colour blocks. One lesson we did objects (rollerskates, digital camera, electric guitar etc) and then the next lesson, referring to their textbooks I asked them to write sentences in their exercise books saying:
'The electric guitar is red, I have/don't have an electric guitar.' and then put the correct colour sticker next to it. A little more exciting than just writing sentences!


I also made flash cards of fruits: Apple, Strawberry, Watermelon etc



No comments:

Post a Comment