I am grateful to Northumbria University, Property Care Services PCS and DLA Piper for supporting this English Teaching Assistants programme.

Tuesday 27 August 2013

IT'S THE QUEENS BIRTHDAY

On the 14th of August it was the Queens birthday here in Thailand. The Royal family are a huuuge deal here, so there was a big celebration here at my school. It was also ASEAN day, which I learnt is the equivalent of the EU for Asia- fun AND educational! My school love to put on a good show- lessons were cancelled and music, dancing and a feast were the events of the day. 
As a surprise for all the students, the headteacher of my school decided I would dress in traditional Thai dress, and could invite the other ETA's nearby to join! This was our idea of heaven! The girls came to stay at my house the night before and my mentor picked us up at 5am to go and get our hair and makeup done at the local salon run by a lady-boy. It was so fun, we had huge eyebrows, fake eyelashes, our hair was scraped flat to our heads and bright pink lips were drawn on. 
We were allowed to chose our own outfits at the dress shop, where the owner dressed us and covered us in gold jewelry- it was fancy dress heaven. I will never forget this day, we were paraded around the school and had millions of photos and were treated like royalty- I love Thailand. 












No comments:

Post a Comment