I am grateful to Northumbria University, Property Care Services PCS and DLA Piper for supporting this English Teaching Assistants programme.

Wednesday 21 August 2013

GETTING READY TO GO...

Having graduated in Newcastle the day before I was due to fly, packing for 2 months in Thailand had been somewhat pushed to aside. I could have done what my mother had told me to do and had all my clothes in clean, fresh piles ready to pack- but that would have been far too organised for my liking.
After a stressful few hours and hair drying  my clothes dry I was ready to go! 

The British council met us ( me and other late comers who had graduated ) in the airport and dropped us at the Ambassador hotel in Bangkok. Having missed the welcome meeting and not hearing a word from my school I felt a little nervous and out of the loop. 

Oil from the British council made me feel far more at ease. She helped us check in and then took us to dinner and we talked for a few hours about what to expect on our stay here. 

I was told that my school would be waiting in the lobby at 10 am the next day. Thankfully the jet lag out-did the nerves and I slept like a baby that night. 

I waited for a few hours till my school rocked up. First I saw a man in white jeans, white cowboy boots and shades with a photo of me on a poster. The photo was my twitter profile photo A SELFIE may I add- so cringey. Next thing a woman appeared with a camera larger than her taking photos and crying with giddiness. Then an awkward teenage boy who apparently spoke english but was too shy to make eye contact. Then a man who stripped me of my luggage, i probably should check where he is taking that? Then finally the two English teachers from the school ran in and explained who was who. 

Cowboy boots was the head teacher.(director) 
The paparazzi- the librarian.
The boy- directors son.
The thief- their taxi driver. 

They told me it would take about two hours to get to Suphan Buri where I would be living for the next two months- bloody hell! 

We chatted for the journey and got to know each other a bit better. They pointed out famous attractions along the way and then we went for lunch. 

When we entered the restaurant my favourite Thai dish (chicken and cashew nuts) was waiting on the table. I didn't even remember telling them i liked it!

Over lunch I learnt that the director was 'a big potato' in the area, and could get me anything I wanted at any time. This should be fun...

Packing- excuse the pants







No comments:

Post a Comment